View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Adjudicating combat effects

Correct. The first case is clear-cut: cards/abilities that defeat monster(s) but don't specifically end combat effectively zero out the monster's combat strength and make it no longer a valid target for cards that target monsters.

#2 is what's got me so off-balance...namely, does a monster that's defeated outside the "compare your strength to theirs" step still give rewards if combat is later subject to a card that does specifically end combat? The answer currently is 'sometimes', and with the variety of cards (some that cancel combat, some that end in pseudo-victory for the players) is almost certainly the final answer...I'm hoping when Andrew's juggling less things can lay out when it's yes and when it's no, so that our calls in the heat of the moment are the same calls he'd make.

I'm nervous 'cuz I've offered to be the overflow referee for a tournament coming up in the next couple months, and if we do get an exceptional turnout really don't want to sour players through I make a call -> Player is unhappy -> Player asks here -> Ruling is overturned -> Player now REALLY sour because my call cost them in a tournament. Kinda defeats the primary purpose of being an MIB [generating enthusiasm, winning fans], so if I can ask now and go to the table confident then, that seems like a good thing to do.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote