View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: advice for Oriental characters in Melee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcro View Post
My Kids bought me the new Melee-Wizard Pocketbox , so I can retire my very beat up 40 year old sets. anyway we've been trying new characters with Oriental settings in mind. I was wondering if anyone has done the same. for example Samurai/Ronin versus Oni (demon) monsters and dragons? thinking of adding Wizard into the mix too, but I'm not sure on how to spec a Katana for my Samurai ( I've been using the standard 'bastard sword' as a Katana being that its mostly a shorter sword for two handed 1d6 and give it a +1.
then Armour for a Samurai is supposed to be very light and doesn't interfere with movement as much as European type of armour.
My son (23 now) and daughter (9) and I love the Okko Comic books and the whole Oriental settings. and this is what we are aiming for. I'd like to make a setting to play this setting in Cidri for In The Labyrinth. wondering if anyone has any specs for Oriental characters,weapons etc. thank you for reading.
Yah. Map a katana to a bastard sword, a no-dachi to a two-handed sword, and a wakisashi to a short sword or long dagger. Don't slap on a +1 unless folks pay for a fine blade; there were plenty of lousy samurai swords too - they just only preserved the historical ones.

The Japanese would nab western chain mail when they could, so I'd not take the marketing copy too far on the armor bit.

O-yoroi was "great armor" and could weigh 55-65 lbs, made of iron scales. Call that plate or fine plate.

Do-Maru was about 45 lbs, with metal and leather scales. Call that half-plate.

There was a Tachi-dou which seemed to come in at about 35 lbs . . . calling that chainmail seems not-wrong

http://gunbai-militaryhistory.blogsp...or-weight.html

In short, you can probably map the stuff directly to the weapon tables as-is.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote