View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [Spaceships] I'm closing on nothing, and 4 other confusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

Based on my sample combats, Spaceship combats is an exchange of beam weapons until a ship loses point defense, and then a barrage of missiles destroys it. In theory, you can overwhelm a ship's PD with missiles, but that's a strict design and force structure question: does your fleet have more missile launchers than your target has PD shots? If you do, your target dies, and if not, you wasted all your missiles.

But the first two sample combats I did were between small spaceships (SM+5 to SM+6), primarily armed with beam weapons, with enough PD that PD couldn't be overwhelmed until the spaceship was damaged. At that point, maneuvering mattered a lot to get good range for their beam weapons.
My sample combats didn't reach quite this clear a result but only 2 of them were for the Basic system.

The first was as much about testing the general design system as I tried to port over some ships from the old Star Frontiers game. Basically the Sathar were sending a dstroyer to attack a Space Station and the Feds had 2 Assault Scouts to defend,

What made sense for the Sathar was to pull a Fast Pass and launch missiles as they screamed by. The Feds decided to Fast Pass the Sathar first in defense. Lesson? Missiles launched during a Fast Pass are absolute killers. It may ahve been hekpful in working out the Fast Pass rules.

In the second I took one of the sample ships called an "Ares-class cruiser" (it ended up in the Designer's Notes) which was said to have trouble v. Missile boats in its' text blurb and test that proposition.

I tokk the Ares and swapped out its' largest gun battery for missiles and ta-da! I had designed the Hydra-class. This is one of the things Spaceships does best.

The first thing I discovered thwas that the Ares had no beams larger than a secondary battery and could not pentrate its' own frontal armor. It could ahve tried to maneuver into position to attack the Hydra's Central armor but the two ships had the same acceleration and crew skill so even in the Basic system only freakish luck would make this possible.

Meanwhile the Hydra's missiles could penetrate the Ares' front armor. if they got past PD. I promptly designed the Ares II with fewer but larger beams. In that battle the Ares II was doing at least a litle damage every round. Lesson? Many smal gusn are not better than a few big guns and use of missiles requires careful tactics.

I did 2 more big sample battles for the Advanced system and missiles dion't figure into those or at least not in ship-to-ship. the ship-to-ship parts invovled big or at least biggish shisp with really long range beam weapons and missiles just weren't fast enough to strike before the beams settled things.

However, the point of the ship-to-ship in one of them was to clear the way for a Nova-class carrier to make a Fast Pass on a Gibralter-class (SM+14) Battle Station. in stead of the Nova's usual complemetn of fighters and assault boats its' hangar bay was filled with 100 TL8 kamikaze ASATS.

When the Nova launched those while going past at 70 miles per second they each launched 3 smaller missiles and even one of them hitting was a -10x HP kill. The Gibralter's normally adequate VRF Tertiary Battery was not enough PD even with larger beams and missile batteries joining in. Lessons? Lots of even amall missiles at Fast Pass velocity can beat almost anything. Kill the enmy bepfre he gets in missile range if you can.