View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
hal

Default Re: Converting prices in other game systems to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
I think you misunderstood my intent. The conversion factor I derived is good for conversion for exactly one pair of eras/systems. $8.75 is the conversion factor for 1200 AD England prices to GURPS dollars, based on the numbers you provided. It does not apply to 1300 AD England, 1200 AD France, or D&D.

However, if you're doing multiple conversions with that pair, it's easier to calculate the conversion factor instead of going through the roundabout method of comparing monthly income every time.

What I did not say is that every silver penny is worth 8.75 GURPS dollars. I was very careful to always refer to the 1200 AD England silver penny, since that's the only time and place the conversion factor is good for.
The conversion process works for any currency you care to mention, both real and fictional. It is a process designed specifically to work so that you can find how to shoehorn in, items that exist in one game system, but not in another, or from realistic prices to a GURPS Analog, or even from say D&D to T&T (Tunnels and Trolls). So, don't sweat it either way. It is merely advice that can be used or not, as the reader here sees fit. Now, those who might want to simply things - might use the approach you suggest. If they do, good for them. I promise, I won't lose sleep, and I won't think less of them (hell, I won't even KNOW!) ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote