View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #9
hal

Default Re: Converting prices in other game systems to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Monthly income is also a variable target, which can make it difficult to do the first part of the equation.

Whose income? Doing what job? Where? Which month? Which year?
And therein lies another issue. If you can find a similar job description between GURPS and say, Chivalry and Sorcery - then you try and use that one standard.

But then again, GURPS uses a somewhat arbitrary system for determining struggling incomes, normal incomes, comfortable incomes, and so on. If a game system charges say, 1 gold per level per day for the services of a mercenary - would that be another way of saying that at low levels, the job is struggling, but at higher levels, it is a Rich income?

This is why I say it is more of an art than it is a straight up mathematical formula where X = some function of Y. About the only method I feel comfortable after all these years (hence, why I use it) is to try and preserve the concept of buying power that economist use when comparing the buying power of say, someone from the 1400's AD in England, and someone in the present.

Which brings me to my next point...

For years, I've mentioned or commented in various threads, that I no longer use GURPS rules for income. The 4e rules are as written, acceptable for others to use, but I find that I only use it as a broad guidance aspect when dealing with economics and GURPS and other game systems. For Medieval game runs, I use HARN WORLD's system for goods and wages as well as services. I don't mix and match much unless GURPS presents something that clearly needs to be converted (such as magic items or potions). It was because of the alchemical potion costs that I started to look at the picture and say "Who can possibly afford to buy the potions of an alchemist?" It won't be those with struggling income, nor will it be those whose income is standard status zero for the most part. Why? If cost of living is $600 a month, and income is generally around $700 per month, a discretionary spending budget of $100 per month doesn't leave a lot of room for buying potions that cost in excess of $1,000!

Cost of ingredients plus time required to manufacture a given item, is the general price that is required to be paid or the manufacturer of the item will eventually go bankrupt/broke. Making matters more complex if you will, is the fact, that it is from the profits, that the Alchemist will make his monthly income, and from his monthly income, his cost of living deducted.

So, how many potions can an alchemist sell in order to make his monthly income? Who is he selling his product to? Those are questions that go through my mind. Why? If you have a city of 10,000 people, how many of those are going to be alchemists? How many can the city support before they start to starve because there isn't sufficient market traffic to keep them fat and happy?

Guilds usually FIXED prices at which things could be sold. Any guild member who sold things too low, could face fines (In medieval times). Likewise, if they sold it for too high a value, they could also be fined.

How much of this information is even in a GM's mind? Probably VERY little, or not at all. ;)

In the end, this "advice" is for those who want to find a method to convert prices from one game system to another for something that is either lacking in the other game system, but GURPS has, or is in another system, that GURPS lacks.

Using a peasant's income to buy a horse is bad. Using a Noble's income to buy a horse is probably closer to reality. But as you might guess...

The income for a Peasant doesn't seem to match that in GURPS as it might in another system. 2 pence per day for a thatcher (semi-skilled worker) versus 2 shillings per day for a knight with a warhorse. The income disparity is roughly what - 12 to 1? But so too are the cost of living issues. Stabling a horse is costly, and comes out of the Knight's money pouch. After you remove all of the mandatory expenses from his horse, the knight might see maybe 18 silver pennies income per day (or less!). So - therein lies the "Art" aspect versus the "simple math" process.

BUYING POWER. A concept that I stole from the economists discussing the economics of medieval times. Hence, the ratio system.

If anyone wants to point out their method, with examples of how it works, I'd say "post it here!". The purpose of the thread is to expose the reader to ideas. Me? I'm an old fart who largely runs his games his way. When I found out that my daughter cheated on her tests in High School, she made me feel MORTIFIED. See, when our group gamed together at my house, she was made to go upstairs, and adults talking about adult themes at the table - well, nuff said right? She bragged that because of gaming, she never bothered to open up the books to study or even read in class. She aced the test strictly on how I'd run my medieval fantasy campaigns.

My concern, is that she picked up an education, that while somewhat useful in some areas, exposed her to adult concepts a wee bit sooner than any father would desire to see in his kid. Then I stop worrying because I face palm myself saying "internet and modern society" She probably got a more intense education on those merits alone. :(

Well, I digress. For two people who approached me for my Harn FANTASY GROUNDS 2 campaign, they'll get a taste for my GM style. Hopefully, it will please them or keep them happy. Set in Harn, with Knights riding with their Liege Lord the Earl Caldeth of Vemion, the adventure hopefully will acquaint them with not only the sword and sorcery fantasy game world of Harn, but also give them a chance to interact with 50 plus families per manor they hold, and deal with other issues than simply swinging a sword at a monster. Who wants to be asked by a dance partner "care to dance" at a ball, only to have to examine their character sheet and groan because they don't have dancing as a skill and have a character who could be described as "having two left feet"?

Ah well, end of digression. ;) Have a good day folks.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote