View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #64
whswhs

Default Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
That "regardless" is important. When I'm thinking as a Tactician - which I do a fair bit - I will pick a solution that accords with an artistic preference, or which adds style in some other way, if I can find one. I may even go to extra effort to do so. But doing this needs either to make sense within the game world, or to have no visible effect within the game world. Mixing the gameworld level with the inter-player level seems like poor practice.
When I think as a storyteller, which I do a lot, I look for an action for the NPC to perform that makes a good story. But I only look among actions that make sense given the established characterization of the NPC and the payoffs to be obtained by various possible actions in the situation. "Wouldn't it be cool if?" is not good storytelling to my mind.

A good outcome is witty in the sense that a good joke is witty: The conclusion follows from the premises and makes sense in terms of the premises, but in an unexpected and surprising way, and the surprise is a source of pleasure.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote