View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #47
Icelander

Default Re: Pterosaur Size, Weight, ST and Maximum Encumbrance when Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think a massive advantage birds have is their super efficient lungs. With a denser more oxygen rich environment, I don't think they'd be so awesome comparatively. They could certainly still exist, but probably nowhere near as ubiquitously as on Earth.

I think it's easier to imagine what just wouldn't benefit which is effectively being disadvantaged compared to what life would benefit.
Yeah, but is there anything which is fairly common on Earth and prerosaurs might eat or compete with (or might eat pterosaurs) that would be Hollywood levels of Failing Biology Forever to put in such a fantastical Venus analogue world?

Because for my Hollow Earth world, which the PCs might someday visit in the course of a game where powerful magic can allow world-walking, I kind of want the climate to be very old-school SF Venus, with ferns, giant insects and dinosaurs, but I also want biology and physics to work normally except where a magical effect (which can be detected, analyzed and even countered using normal GURPS rules) is somehow changing the rules.