View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #35
Otaku

Default Re: Unarmed Parry Is Unarmed Block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
I would expect that blocking a thrust would have a substantial penalty unless you are blocking with something that has an unbroken blocking surface with at least a 6" diameter.

I would expect at least a 12" diameter before a block provides better thrust protection than a parry.

Also, one big mechanical difference between a block and a parry is that a block is expected to be done using the off-hand and thus does not suffer the -4 DX off-hand penalty that an off-hand parry would experience.
At the risk of further complicating things, I am wondering how some of the established values will affect things. Still lacking the Basic Set (either Characters or Campaigns) and I may have access tomorrow or I may have to wait another month or two (its a bit complicated), so I can't double check some kind of "basic" rules to see if an idea I had worked.

Some weapons (or Unarmed Skills) have a bonus to parry, right? Shields and Cloaks (the two more common pieces of equipment that can legally Block) have DB? Perhaps these values just need some tweaking, besides adding in a generic "block" rule for most combat skills. I think this means I agree with you.

I can also see treating both Block and Parry as the same Defense where margin of success determines which you use, barring special circumstances (such as where only Blocking helps). I think this largely matters when more advanced rules like Shield and Weapon damage are being applied; Blocking with a weapon increasing the odds of Weapon Breakage. Skilled Defenders will be Parrying, even if they are Defending using a Shield, because the reward is the Shield enduring (assuming that is relevant to that combat). Lesser combatants may have to settle for "Blocking" more than Parrying, even with weapons.

I don't know about reality, but that does match cinematic, four-color, and even silly settings pretty well. Whether its Mr. Action Hero, Mr. Superhero or Mr. Comedy Hero, he demonstrates his prowess by not just by taking out opponent's he hits, but by obliterating any defenses thrown up against him, cleaving opponent's sword or shield in half!
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote