View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: The best Transhuman scii-fi novels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But "it never mattered" is perfectly consistent with transhumanism. In fact you could have the test of transhumanity be the ability to completely accept the mortality, not merely of oneself, but of one's kind or indeed of sapience as such, the "it never mattered," and still go on playing the game with total commitment. Sort of like the way Nietzsche makes the Eternal Recurrence a test of superhumanity.

(In a way, Olaf Stapledon is pointing in that direction in Star Maker, though the only solution he can come up with is a sort of theism.)
I never understood that view. Just because everything I am and every effect from my actions will eventually disappear from the universe has no meaning to me or those I affect. Who cares that humanity will eventually die when you punch me in the face?
It matters to me.
It seems like it takes an enormous ego to ever consider one's actions permanent across the light years and megayears.