View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Rindis

Default Re: [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I have gone with Illusion with hefty limitations on utility and Triggered.
Add a duration limiation if you like.
A less restrictive Illusion still should be pretty cheap and let you make different types of warnings.
Doesn't really get at what I'm going for. It's a good idea (as a general-use power), but part of what I'm trying to go for in these builds is that magic is an arbitrary and not well understood thing. D&D spells have all sorts of strange effects and limitations, which makes them hard to emulate if you're going to be 'proper' about the entire process, but that strangeness is part of what I'm trying to get at here.

That said, some sort of flexible 'power structure' based off of Illusion seems much better than trying to emulate a 1e Illusionist straight. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Thinking outside the box here... how about doing it as an Ally spell? It is a Conjuration spell, isn't it?
I've actually seen another write up that did just about what you're proposing. And actually, it's an Abjuration spell (wards and protection).

It's a valid method, but not one I care for. It feels 'wrong' to me to create a 'character' for the single purpose of explaining a special effect. Going with that method, I'd leave out the Telecommunication; I'm sure that's to counter being insubstantial, but I know there's published modifiers to counter that just to speak/moan/etc.

And again, I'm actually very happy with the existing write up, other than the 'once only' part. I think I'm going to have to sit down and see if I can come up with a modifier set I like for that (and I just had idea, but I'll need to be able to sit down and see if it could work).