View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #43
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Attribute Adding Magic Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecz View Post
someone has responded to your question about the suggestion in the rules to not let players to have too powerful magic items.

About magic items available via an order to the Guild, I also like this rule it a lot.

I see this rule as the golden opportunity for the wise GM to actually LIMIT magic items proliferation in our CGs leaving the players with the feel they can obtain everything.

There are many possible reasons for the Guild to reject a order (that the GM dislike for whatever reason):

a) We are busy with past orders, please come back here in a year;
b) who are you? We do not use create magic items for strangers;
c) where is the king's permission to buy magic items?
d) fine! but you must provide all ingredients by yourself;
e) sorry we do not have the permission to create this item;
f) fine! but you must first buy the yearly subscription to sustain the Guild. It's $5.000 OR you can make a certain mission for the Guild before we can accept the order...

OR the order can be accepted (payment in advance included) and simply the laboratory could explode one month later killing the wizard before the item is delivered (no refund of course).

also the rule allowing players to create magic items by ourselves buying a Laboratory is fine.
But the GM can always limit any unwanted item creation using his imagination:
a) so many taxes that de facto stop the activity;
b) Magic Guild interference
c) underworld interference
d) a law or a order from the local authority that suspend magic item production or force the creation of magic items for the king and/or the Royal Guards

I still remember when my wizard PC finally bought a Magic Laboratory and left it to an apprendice for a few weeks having an adventure out of town .

When I returned in town at the place of my laboratory I found a barber shop.
Hi ecz.
Let us imagine a new GM with new players. The players get enough money to buy a +1 sword, so they go to the magic guild and buy one. No problem, they get their sword.

They get more money and go to the magic guild and order a Blur ring that costs 1 fatigue ST per 3 turns. No problem, they get their ring.

They get a bit more money and go to the wizard's guild and order a +3 DX ring. How does the new GM know that he is supposed to throw up problems? That he is supposed to say that the wizard's are backlogged and that the PC's should come back in a year? That the Thieves Guild needs to interfere? That when they pay want to buy this item that the King has ordered the guild to produce items only for him?

If the TFT rules say that PC's can go to a Magic Guild and order magic items at such and such a price, then the vast majority of players in the game will do just that. If this particular item is too powerful, then it should be either removed or made more expensive. If ALL items are too powerful, and you don't want PC's buying them or making their own, then why have the several pages of rules that allow this?

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-04-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Changed argument a bit.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote