View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #25
Kirk

Default Re: Staff, mana, stored ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Yeah, I was exaggerating to make the point that I think wizards would be more fun if they were more effective in a wider range of scenarios. Capping missile spells at 3 or 4 ST helps limit the damage they do on the high end, but on the low end you need a GM clever enough to give the Wizard opportunities to show his stuff. That's a lot of fun in the right type of campaign, but harder to do in combat heavy ones.

Ever try running a party of 4 wizards through Death Test? It ain't pretty.

BTW, if you are into puzzly, intense, resource management games with a strong fantasy theme, check out Mage Knight. It plays well solo, and seriously scratches that itch.
My brother about 40 years ago was the first to suggest this amongst us, I believe, and they did OK, though I can't remember the details. Getting just one point back max after each room was a very interesting challenge, what I hope will remain for new players to the system.

I've played MK and had my friends try to convince me to like it, but it was meh for me. Some games hit the spot, others don't, by my age now I've automated the analysis and can usually tell after about 5 minutes of play how I feel about a game, if that long.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote