View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #38
Some Guy From Mars

Default Re: Experience Points

Quote:
It's always a problem when the xp system doesn't match the character creation system, because it encourages you to take a dump stat as it reduces the xp cost to reach your final goal. For example, let's say my goal is stats of 16/16/8.

If I start at 12/12/8, it will cost me 6,600 xp to reach my goal. If I start at 16/8/8, it will cost me 4,700 xp.
Quote:
That's a very good point...except for the fact that a starting DX of 8 has never been a very successful survival trait in most of the TFT games I've played (you can't hit anything very well, and you sure can't wear any armor, which makes you the one voted "most likely to die" at the start of the game). Of course, you could go with 8/16/8 and get the same effect, except that if the enemy gets a good double-damage hit on you at any point, odds are you'll die... I'm guessing, in other words, that given the lethality of TFT combat, the odds of such a "min/max" character surviving are not great.
During the commute home from work this afternoon I was thinking along similar lines about creating a very high ST but low DX and low IQ character. I also know from experiences that such characters suffer a significant attrition rate.

So my workaround the situation in order to help such a character survive TFT combat is to NEVER attack but ALWAYS defend. Now, such a scenario would not work under the old rules, which rewarded XP based upon combat results (ie: one XP for each point of damage inflicted on an opponent, receiving XP equal to the DX of a vanquished opponent).

Under the new rules, however, I see such a strategy being potentially successful from how XP is rewarded arbitrarily by the GM, with (for example) 50 to 100 XP awarded per campaign, you could gradually accumulate XP and slowly raise said characters DX and IQ.
Some Guy From Mars is offline   Reply With Quote