View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
tbeard1999

Default Re: Experience Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Problems with attribute bloat will not be solved by changes in the XP award rules, because the game master is the ultimate source of XP. Attribute bloat is a consequence of the way we let points be spent, which is different.
Agreed. And I'm not aware of ANY RPG that doesn't break down when characters get sufficiently powerful.

Quote:
But there are sources of XP that I think may be unnecessary bookkeeping and/or rewards for die rolls rather than play.

- XP for making any roll on 4 or more dice - Meh. It's not evil, but 30+ years down the pike, I'm not sure what it adds. The successful roll, and its results, are a reward in themselves.

- XP for good job rolls - I'm pretty sure now that I just want to reward those with money.
Agreed on both counts. Personally, I'd come up with some kind of EP total for each monster and be done with it. My guess is that few game masters actually use the official ep systems in their RPGs of choice, so I don't know how much energy I'd spend on getting a perfect EP equation.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote