Thread: Talent System
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #47
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Talent System - Don't add more talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
... at a certain point, all athletic competencies taper off, usually depending on the natural talent of the athlete. In my own case, I'm certain that I learned more in the first year of Tae Kwon Do than I did in my 8th year. In fact, it was boredom with this plateau that's largely responsible for me moving on....
This is exactly correct; whether one is talking Martial Arts, Music Performance , or any other Knowledge + Dexterity based expression. The same thing holds true for Body-Building; the most measurable gains are in the beginning, then the fight to break through the plateau to each subsequent higher-level begins - with new plateaus between each.

The only real difference at the higher-levels of a thing versus a highly-competent level of a thing is in terms of exactness, finesse, precision, definition, and most importantly reduction of possibility of error in execution.

So, if one subscribes to that understanding, the question becomes: For Gaming Purposes, how high a level of specificity to replicating upper-end detail is needed to enjoy the game - or is a reasonable level of general simulation enough to keep the game and your character fascinating and fun?

Thoughts?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote