View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #39
Skarg

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Pole Weapons and Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I don't believe this is accurate. I have the original 1977 Melee booklet and I do not ever remember seeing this 3 hex charge rule. I do know it was added someplace in some subsequent suggested rules or perhaps even in a later edition which I do not own.
It was added by Metagaming in later printings of Melee.

It's kind of a lopsided nerf though since it only applies to certain conditions, and IIRC it doesn't have any corresponding explanation for whether or how to limit the effects of pole weapons defending against Charge Attacks, which is inconsistent.

Another adjustment many people have mentioned liking/using over the years, which AFAIK wasn't ever an official rule even in later Melee printings, was simply to change the double damage effect to be a +1 die of damage.

In the article on Pole Weapon rules in Interplay #7, Codex editor William Gustafson discusses the advantages and disadvantages of polearms and his thoughts about them and he offers a couple of tweaks. One is a DX penalty for using one against a target one hex away if the hex on the opposite side of you is blocked.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote