View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #58
Phantasm

Default Re: Vehicles and Weapons from Fantasy giving me problems

I dug out my copy of Vehicles 2e to work out a number of ships, updating the HPto 4e standards based on the mass of the ships in general and handwaving the Hnd bonus. I also did some research on various ship designs, particularly (as that's what I had access to) Viking designs. I had to guestimate on DR, as there wasn't much information on the thickness of the wood used, and in fact my research seemed to indicate that the Norsemen prefered thinner hulls.

Knorr
A cargo vessel that originated in the frozen North Sea waters, the knorr is a shallow but wide ship with a single 15 foot tall mast outfitted with a square sail, and operated by ten rowers. The ship is often 50 to 70 feet long, 25 to 30 feet wide, and is capable of being sailed or rowed upriver as well as making ocean journeys. The ship is steered by a single rudder-oar worked by a sailor standing on a small, raised platform at the rear. All the cargo and rowers are on the ship's main deck, protected from the elements by a tent.
TL: 3
ST/HP: 57
Hnd/SR: -4/3
HT: 10f
Move: 0.05/3
LWt: 33.3
Load: 21.8
SM: +5
Occ: 16
DR: 3
Range: F
Cost: $11.8K
Locations: MO
Draft: 3.2 ft
Notes: Listed move is for under sail. When being rowed without a sail, Move is 0.01/2.

Karve
The karve is the smallest of the Viking warships. It is a utility craft suitable for trade and warfare. No two karves are identical, but the average ship is 70 feet long with a 17 foot beam, owed by 24 oars, with a 25 foot tall mast, and a shallow draft of around three feet, enabling it to be sailed or rowed up rivers. During war, the karve can carry 150 warriors.
ST/HP: 83
Hnd/SR: -4/3
HT: 12f
Move: 0.05/4
LWt: 39.1
Load: 3.4
SM: +6
Occ: 32+150
Cost: $48K
Draft: 3.4 ft
Notes: Listed move is for under sail. When being rowed without a sail, Move is 0.01/3.

Longship
The standard warship used by the Norsemen, the longship is the best known and most common ship to come out of the north. It is a long, narrow ship, roughly 100 feet long with a 20 foot beam, rowed by 50 oars and sailed with a square sail on a 30 foot tall mast. The longship normally carries 200 warriors.
ST/HP: 91
Hnd/SR: -3/4
Move: 0.05/4.5
LWt: 53.9
Load: 6.5
SM: +7
Occ: 63+200
Cost: $63.7K
Draft: 3.8 ft
Notes: Listed move is for under sail. When being rowed without a sail, Move is 0.05/3.5.

Drakkar
The great "dragon ships" of the Norsemen, the drakkar is a larger version of the longship. The most common ships are 120 to 160 feet long and 20 to 25 feet wide, with a 40 foot wide square sail on a 45 foot tall mast and rowed by 60 to 72 oars. The largest can carry 300 warriors. Like their smaller cousins, these ships are capable of making ocean voyages as well as traveling upriver.
ST/HP: 99
Hnd/SR: -3/4
Move: 0.1/5.5
LWt: 69.5
Load: 9.2
SM: +8
Occ: 90+300
Cost: $85K
Draft: 4.1 ft

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote