View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
Phantasm

Default Re: How has the science in Gurps Space 4th edition & Gurps Traveller held up?

Well, while the system is designed to primarily provide a Sol-type system, that's at least partially because that's the kind of system that people would place their habitable colony worlds they develop.

Plus, Sol is not the only system laid out in a "conventional" model; Epsilon Eridani has two confirmed asteroid belts and a Kuiper belt, with a confirmed gas giant just outside the inner asteroid belt. There's a very good chance there's another gas giant just outside the outer asteroid belt, and I would not be surprised if there were three or more terrestrial planets inside the inner asteroid belt. And then there's TRAPPIST-1 with six inner terrestrial planets (though I've not read anything about it having outer gas giants). So our own solar system is not alone in being a "conventional" layout in the universe. Mind, the system might need some math updates to pull off TRAPPIST-1, due to the six planets being so near to the star and so close to each other. There are probably more out there, and I'm sure our own detection methods are skewing the bell curve to the weird stuff we can't yet explain because the super-close planets are easier to detect during transit.

I should also note that the system in 4e Space is capable of pulling off most of the systems we've detected so far; I recall it being stated that the system was altered from the earlier versions of Space because of the detection of hyper-close gas giants.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote