View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Has any one gotten GCA5 to run properly on linux?

GCA4 and GCA5 are built on entirely different foundations (GCA5 is based on .Net 4) so you should not rely on anything related to GCA4 for help getting GCA5 to run on Linux.

This is what it says on the current GCA Support page for GCA5:

Linux Support

Although not officially supported, several testers have reported success installing and running on Linux, using Wine. For those looking to experiment, the most-successful installation used the Windows 7 container (the default) using Wine 6.18, ran the installer within that, then added .NET 4.61. (Printing functionality may not be available, depending on driver-compatibility.) User-to-user assistance may be found on the GURPS Character Assistant Forum.

And here's what another user posted for GCA5 some time back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Managed to get GCA5 working on my Linux (Kubuntu 21.10) install. Used PlayOnLinux to create a 32-bit Windows 7 container (the default) with Wine 6.18 and run the installer within it, then added .NET 4.61 (later versions did not work). Seems to be working just fine, even able to update properly, although I haven't tested thoroughly yet.
I have had other folks complain that the print-related stuff (preview, sheet view) did not work on Linux. I do not know if they got it to work or not, or even if MeddlingMonk's was working.