View Single Post
Old 03-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #16
Farmer

Default Re: Improving the GCA5 GUROS 4e Official Character Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
This is pretty much *why* I use two different fonts (and why I make the User font blue by default). I had to rely on using a second font I could be sure pretty much everyone has, that was obviously different from the form font. I was going to use Comic Sans, but people really seem to hate that one for some reason, so I used Arial. (I wanted to use Arial for the form font, but SJGames used a serif font, so there we are.)
Yep, the colour variation is great. The serif font, I assume, is a hang over from DTP norms when SJG first created the sheet, as well as a different common aesthetic decades ago (it's been that long...). 72dpi was a thing then (because of the resolution of a Mac monitor back in the day and its physical size) and serifs still had some utility and looked so much better than monospace screen fonts and reflected the norm for printing. And, yes, choosing defaults that represent standard installations can be challenging.

Arial Black is a good choice for "headings" when used with Arial regular for text, but in a mono environment it's less distinctive. Specifically designed for use in Headings on Windows is "Impact", so that's probably worth considering (you don't need to support MacOS or *nix with GCA). It's distinctive in mono and also works well in black with the text in another colour (such as your blue, which I think is an excellent choice).

Comic Sans has a bad rep, I think mostly born of how many times it was used as an "alternative" font when it was released and people just got tired of it. It has a semi-script style with the soft, rounded format. It does tend to annoy me because I dislike the kerning, but honestly it's not as bad a choice as some people would suggest with their reaction to it.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote