View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: 3D Printed Miniatures

Miguel is a frickin' gift to the world.

I've mostly been printing terrain. OpenForge and similar projects produce a lot of useful walls and other bits of adventuring decor, but I can't get as much use as I'd like from the floors for GURPS (or TFT) because it's based on a hex grid, while the more popular printable terrain systems are based on a square grid. I have, therefore, been working on floor components on my own. I've even tested CNCing some hex floor sections from wood. They came out tolerably well, but I need to make some adjustments to my rig for various reasons. I've also toyed with the idea of doing some with stone tile, though that depends on my getting decent diamond-tip bits for cheap.

I find that printed terrain, which involves less detail than miniatures, is better suited to 3d printing for the tabletop. I toy with minis from time to time, but I'm not excited by the results. That said, there's a guy on YouTube who had some interesting advice on maximizing the quality of prints. I haven't replicated the apparent quality of his results, but they do help some, and it's not like his settings are universal, so I'm still fiddling with things for my printer.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote