View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
Joseph R

Default Re: Influence Skills and Interrogation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrolion View Post
My understanding from the rules and the general course of responses on the forum here is that the GM rolls reaction rolls secretly, but the players can decide to replace that roll by using an influence skill. I'm not sure if that's what whswhs was trying to say, but it seems to be what is implied by Campaigns 495: if the players don't like their reaction result, they can "change their approach and try again" to replace that result. An Influence Skill attempt seems to me to be a "change in approach" from just hoping you're likable. ^_^

Note that I wouldn't give people a -2 penalty for that "re-attempt," as you really can't say that the guy feels the PCs are becoming a nuisance when they've just tried to influence him for the first time.

And yes, the PCs should be able to decide to use an influence skill after the reaction roll is in play--after all, to decide you need to influence someone, you need to first have time to recognize that you're not already getting what you need!
Well, what you've just described is pretty much what I thought and how I've been GMing it myself. But that's not what the quote (Bill Stoddard paraphrasing Kromm) actually said. The official line appears to contradict our understanding: "You either roll reaction OR attempt influence". Hence, my asking for official clarification.
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote