View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Monycker

Default Rules Discrepancy - Divine Intervention Card

Heya! Just joined the forum because my roommates were having a debate over the validity of, what I think, is a very clever (if ambiguous) series of an initial winning strategy and a counter.

Basically, it goes like this: we're playing with the original set of Munchkin cards. My roommate - Michael - was a Cleric class. He's level 9, about to win, when he plays the Wand of Dowsing, allowing him to go back through the discard pile and pick any card he wants. He chooses Divine Intervention, which allows clerics to go up a level immediately, and can be used to get to level 10 and win the game.

Then, my roommate Blake uses the Change Class card. I feel like this is the only way to really counter the divine intervention card, and so does Blake. However, Michael disagrees and states that he'd have had to use the Change Class curse BEFORE he used the Wand of Dowsing to get the Divine Intervention card.

Now, while I see the legitimacy of both sides, I feel like the only way to have an effective STRATEGY (as opposed to simple luck at having played the Change Class card before you even knew your opponent was going to use the Wand of Dowsing to get Divine Intervention) is to allow for the initial strategy of leveling up a cleric to happen, only to COUNTER with changing the class. It seems more clever and fun to make deliberate counters, as opposed to just randomly playing cards in the hopes that someone's day gets ruined. The way we played it out, with Michael winning and Blake's counter-strategy being invalidated, seems to take more power out of the hands of the player, and put it into the simple serendipity of drawing cards from the deck and blindly throwing cards around.

What do you guys think? Should we have kept playing with Michael's strategy having been invalidated? Or was it right that Michael won, despite Blake's strategic and unconventional use of the Change Class card?

Looking forward to what the forum has to say about this!
Monycker is offline   Reply With Quote