View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 AM   #7
ArchonShiva

Default Re: Decreased Mana Costs as an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
So, my final cost:

Option 1: Magery Spell Energy Cost Reduction (103/116/ +8 per additional level)
I’m pretty certain 103 points is too much, considering less than that buys +5 IQ outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Magic spells don't face many penalties. There's the -5 for Low Mana, and Regular spells face a -1/yard range penalty. Healing spells face repeated casting penalties. A few spells use Long Distance modifiers, but a -10 to skill will let you scry an entire planet. Resisted spells are capped by the Rule of 16, so extra skill doesn't help much with them. Higher levels of Magery also help with casting effects of leveled spells (bigger fireballs and healing spells), which you would lose with the limited version presented here.

A skill of 20-21 is usually sufficient to mitigate most of these penalties. The primary advantage of having Spell skill over 21 is the time and cost reductions.
If I’m going to take Reduced FP Cost -4 instead of ER 20, and I want to make the best of it, I’ll want to have a metric ton of spells on. Full party Invisibility, Dark Vision, Flight, Shield, Lighten Burden... Spells On penalties are going to be a major limitation there.

Just the same, successfully casting resisted spells at 10 yards is a lot more useful in my GURPS tactical combat experience than yours seems to indicate.