View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #55
Icelander

Default Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But I have rather strong storytelling impulses, and I don't much care for "rule of cool." I want the story to follow logically from the premises; that's part of what makes it a good story.
I did not make a statement one way or another about storytellers according to Laws. In my view, it's possible for more than one player to be be a storyteller while having radically different preferences as to the genre and mood of fiction.

So that the both of us, for example, score high on 'storytelling', despite not being prepared to see the integrity of the setting or characters sacrificed in the service of a pre-determined storyline.

As for what my post was about, I can't see any way for tacticians to enjoy 'rule of cool' trumping their in-game preparation and planning. The only way I can see is if the tactician was a very gamist kind of tactician and the game rules had clearly defined 'Rule of Cool' inspired rules that the tactician could account for in his preparations.

But that requires a very strange setting, one where characters in it are aware that the Rule of Cool influences their reality.