View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
Epic Kobold

Default Re: [IC] The Marching Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Fox View Post
"I make no secret of the fact that I have no wish to rule, however I also wish to see my uncle's lands preserved in a manor fitting him. He was a good man, and an honest man, his people deserve no less in his successor than that. If the decision is made by those gathered here for me to rule I will dedicate myself to trying to honour the memory of Walton, if not then so be it, but know this I will not see Walton's enemies and rivals tear apart this barony like the jackals and vultures they are!"

With that he turns to Grok, who he had long ago been taught by Walton to treat as an equal, and with sadness welling up inside of him he asked,

"Grok you were with him during his final hours, tell me what were the last words my uncle spoke?"
"Great men do not rise to power, but have power thrust upon them. You could share the responsibility with trusted friends, it's not without risk, but may alleviate your concerns.

I remember his words as if they were etched into my memory with a blade.

'Should something happen to me, summon the people I trust the most. Also, summon Sir Fharin, another man whom I would like to hear what says in that paper. Summon Astaron and Lord Slenthan. Even though I hate these two gentlemen, I want them to hear what it says. Once they're all gathered, read that paper. DON'T open it yet. You'll know when the occasion for doing that will sound right. Grok, my friend, I'd ask of you to leave now. We'll talk. I need some time alone.'

The hour was late and I retired to my chamber. I woke two hours later to check on him and discovered him de... still. It seems he passed moments after I had left him.