View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Dinadon

Default Re: Blunt Trauma and Skulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
Me = confused.

If the blunt trauma is Injury and not damage, why would it be stopped by the skull's DR 2?
It shouldn't, I forgot to catch that.

Quote:
IMHO:
Considering how weirdly blunt trauma behaves when suddenly a single point of damage penetrates (damage 100 vs DR 100 does 20 injury, but damage 101 vs DR 100 does 1 injury ...), I think you would always have to consider the entire DR and not process it layerwise. (Otherwise DR 1+1+1+1+1 is significantly better than DR 5, because it will never cause blunt trauma.)
I don't think 5 individual points of flexible armor is meant to be treated differently to a single DR 5 piece. However, you do could end up with similar if you space non-flexible DR in-between your flexible layers, say DR 4+1+4+1+4 with the first layer being flexible and then alternating. Whether that works I'm not certain.

With the DR 100 issue, I view it as more of a quirk than a problem. Remember, that's penetrating damage and so will be multiplied by a Wounding Modifier. Each point of damage above the DR adds to the total, so with DR 100 being hit by 120 damage will be at least as bad, and at that high a value that isn't an unreasonable deviation from a damage roll. Taking exactly one point more will most likely be an occasional annoyance. Still, it's a good incentive to switch to something less flexible.

The real issue is when you have a flexible DR 100 over a rigid DR 100, it's harder to see how Blunt Trauma could get through.

So I'll just reiterate your last question, any insights?
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote