View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Otaku

Default Re: Looking For Less Frequent Luck

I probably started a post a bit late for me to do it well (not that I haven't made bad ones while well rested XD) so I'd like to re-emphasize some points:
  • I want most players taking some form of Luck, so low prices are only a problem when insanely abusive.
  • With longer recharge times, said times would be kept track of session to session as needed.

With the official versions of Luck in the Base Set, frequency often enough that unless a player was intentionally trying to abuse the system (trying to control when the game ended to sneak in an extra use of Luck), not much of a reason to track its usage exactly. If the GM knows that his players will never hit an appropriate interval and thus the Advantage will always behave a more expensive version of Luck, the GM needs to forbid it as inappropriate for the campaign.

5 points for once per session... I just don't know if it is worth it for single use (per session) Luck. Maybe it absolutely is, so those that have played using it please let me know! XD Maximum use is different from probable use; even if you're almost never going to work in as many uses as one every other hour or once every four hours suggests, its nice to know you might. Since I was in a kind of generous mood, I was even wondering if Minor Luck should be once every three hours and the Perk version a flat once-per-session (emphasizing the GM shouldn't permit it if sessions are overly short and that is an issue).

gilbertocarlos brings up a pretty important point; I am designing this looking at it as both a player and a GM. Either one has to police things (which in GURPS, when don't you?) to prevent creative abuses... or one has to be okay with said abuses. If a player wants to buy Luck so they aren't vulnerable to something that is usually a background skill instead of buying said Skill up, that seems inline with you my original purpose... but again anyone that has played with rules such as these, please let me know: your input may help me craft a useful house rule or avoid a bad mistake.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 05-15-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Messy post; cleaning it up. Sorry.
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote