View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #49
ravenfish

Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The mystics as presented in GURPS Banestorm are very ambiguous and subtle. There's a big difference between being able to use internal abilities like Visualization and literally having God as a Patron.

Considering that, per GURPS:Banestorm (EDIT: page 213), the Friedrichites can get Walk on Liquid and (limited) Warp, I would say characterizing their abilities as "ambiguous" or "internal" would be misguided.

Bear in mind that, even if a character sheet says "Patron:God" (and it doesn't even explicitly state this; the book merely notes that this was used as a pricing guideline), the in character effect is merely "can unreliably cause a wide variety of supernatural effects". In a setting with literal wizards and magical spirits running around, (and again, per canon, characters who already gain the ability to perform blatant supernatural feats by ritual and belief) I would see no difficulty in a skeptical character (or a GM/player who would rather not deal with unambiguous divine intervention) brushing this off as "strong latent magical potential" or whatever.