View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Science] The Hard Science of Low Gravity versus High Gravity

Gravity makes no difference to damage, and no difference to accuracy assuming the shooter and/or weapon is correctly adjusted to local conditions. (Although different gravity would change the range at which small-arms shooters can safely ignore bullet drop.) Obviously it does make some difference to range. It could have an impact on the acceleration of missiles, but it would need to be awfully heavy gravity to be noticeable - even a relatively sluggish missile like a TOW has thrust in great excess of gravity.

Firearm ST usually seems to have to do with weight and I think it's been suggested that it be matched against Lifting rather than Striking ST, so I'd see a decent case for scaling ST with the square root of local gravity. There may be some weapons (perhaps pistols?) where ST has more to do with handling recoil, which would not be affected by local gravity.

Firing platform weight is largely irrelevant to GURPS rules. There's a possible range of low gravities where you might carry or mount weapons with enough recoil to significantly displace the firer, for which I don't think there's any strong GURPS coverage. But it's rather an outside case. (In genuine microgravity, there's a Pyramid article addressing things somewhat. Maybe you could hack something for not-quite-micro gravity out of that.) In heavy gravity there's really nothing really exciting going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Me neither. I don't even know what a "BDRM" is though "IS-1" appears to be a designation for an individual vehicle type rather than broad class of vehicles.
Both are soviet AFVs, BDRM being a misspelling of BRDM...