View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #78
Astromancer

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

{The Farfarers}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this idea.

Millennia ago powerful aliens noted the Earth's abundant lifeforms and seeded the galaxy, which was mainly sterile, with Earth life. With the rise of the classical civilizations they decided that Earth life was ready to develop on its own on the many worlds they'd spread it to.

Many of the Human and Near Human groups that these seeders took from Earth were further manipulated genetically. The resulting parahumans then went on to found civilizations of their own.
Here I'm stealing from Eldritch Skies although I don't make some of their assumptions. I assume that life forms do evolve in wildly divergent ways but base biochemistry remains much the same. Genes seem to be able to stay unchanged for billions of years if their function remains unchanged. Life takes the path of least resistance.

It's because life takes the path of least resistance that the ancients chose to manipulate DNA to try paths of advantage that wouldn't evolve naturally. However, once these modified life forms are out there, the path they took isn't the issue. The success or lack thereof within their environment is what counts. This goes for humans and hominids as well. A fifty foot high giant might be strong, but if he can't walk he's dead. A nine foot tall giant with well designed feet and legs might be fully viable.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 06-08-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote