View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: pirate ship crew vs. pirate ship crew with PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The Fate Core mechanic for "mobs" treats some number of identical NPCs as a single entity for rolling. They have all their hit points ("stress boxes") which can overflow from one mook to the next, so you can theoretically take them all out with one hit.

FFG's system (Genesys, in its new generic spin, or several Star Wars flavors as it's best known) also has a group rule -- "minions", in their jargon. It's pretty similar to Fate and Savage Worlds in that a group of minions fights as a single unit, with a single hit point pool and one attack roll.

The other mechanic I've seen a lot is just to narrate the battle between mooks based on the success of the PCs in their individual fights.
Thanks - lots of good suggestions! I wasn't familiar with Genesys, but a friend of mine has one of their Star Wars games, so I may be able to borrow it and take a look.

I've read FATE squad-level rules but had forgotten the second way of doing it that you mention; I'll have to re-read that part of the rules.

The "narrate the battle based on the individual fights" is the one I usually use (and have recommended before myself) but for this game I wanted something a bit more direct as the PCs would also be in command, and if the PC captain wanted to, say, hang back or send forward a wave of minions to blunt the enemy attack, or whatever, to be able to let him to do it.

I don't mind you mentioning Mass Combat!