View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
aesir23

Default Re: [MA] [House Rules] A New Approach to Dual Weapons and Sword and Shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
To be honest, I haven't put a lot of thought into it. I was mainly thinking about bare hand or parrying dagger defense and added buckler in because rapier and buckler is so iconic. I might actually drop buckler, and limit it to weapons with a crossguard (and bare hands).
A crossguard helps for this sort of thing, but unless you're talking blade grabs* (which would be better handled as an actual grapple), there's no reasons bare hands would be better than bucklers.

And if you're allowing it for bare hands at all, you should allow it for cloak as well. Most cloak techniques are just bare-handed parries with a cloak wrapped around as extra protection.

Personally, I'd allow it for any off-hand weapon or shield. Take a look at the technique in this video at around 3:05 for an example of why.

*Blade grabs are another topic entirely, they're really effective and much safer than people think--many longsword manuals teach them. But no rapier manuals I know of do (I think it's Agrippa who said, "it's a miserable way to defend yourself") and I don't know why. Maybe it's easier to cut yourself grabbing a narrower blade, or maybe it's just unfashionable.

Last edited by aesir23; 09-07-2015 at 03:15 PM.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote