View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #20
larsdangly

Default Re: Weapon Mastery, the long and winding road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Only if you never intend to raise your IQ.

I don't know why this isn't more obvious to people familiar with TFT.

I could make a some examples, but I'm loathe to post such to the main forum here because I think it might do more damage as spoilers to new players and encouragement to abuse the rules.

Instead, I'll try to enumerate some points:

* Low IQ not only reduces the number of talents/spells a starting character gets by 1 per, but it also prevents taking higher-IQ talents/spells.

* Any talent/spell point that a character ends up learning after creation in the seeming RAW takes 500 XP.

* 400 XP is the cost for a 32-point character to gain +3 attribute points, raising them to the point where they (if well designed/played) can/will be superior to 32-point characters and (if the GM complies with the 32-points is above average for the population) most people in the game world. So it takes that much experience to learn one trivial 1-point talent.

* There are several valuable talents many adventurers could put to great use even at IQ 9, not to mention higher levels of IQ.

* Therefore, if you consider a 33-point IQ 9 character with some of those talents, he could either have started as a 32-point IQ 9 character with many of those talents already known for free, or, if he had started as a 32-point IQ 8 character, in order to get those same talents after creation, he'd need not only to increase his IQ to 9 (which is all it would take plus some study time in original TFT), but he would need to spend 500 XP per point, which could easily add up to 1000, 2500, 3500 or even more XP to learn those talents after creation, which were free to the character who started at IQ 9.
I understand all these things. They are just a list of reasons why you might decide to begin play with a high IQ hero. So do it. Or, if you look at the balance of those benefits vs. the benefits of having a high ST and/or DX and decide you prefer the latter, do that. Or perhaps you think the most advantageous and/or interesting approach in play is a compromise investment of a bit in all three, do that.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote