View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #105
lordabdul

Default Re: GURPS 4th edition 15th anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Mundane Bestiary is unlikely to be a popular title with the marketing team.... :-)
And that's why I'm not working in marketing :D

Quote:
Would Alien Bestiary cover space opera, hard sci-fi, planetary romance, or all at once together?
I imagine it would be a "buffet"-style book of sci-fi aliens/monsters/animals/plants/whatever that you can use as a base for whatever sci-fi game you're running. Of course you would modify it, the same way you might modify the Fantasy Bestiary templates because frankly, from one med-fan world to the next, the dragons/orcs/trolls/etc. are never truly the same, and sometimes they're completely different. True to GURPS, probably less than half of each book would be actual Bestiary examples with stats, with the other half being guidelines for figuring out those stats for custom worlds.

Quote:
This is sounding more and more like an insoluble problem — which is probably why it hasn't been published....
I don't think it's insoluble. SJGames has been able to release books or series of books on other similarly varied things like spaceships and post-apocalyptic worlds and zombies and different types of magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
Sure, I was mostly making a joke, though I can't imagine "barely running fantasy" with GURPS, unless we're talking a very narrow definition of fantasy.
I mean "fantasy" as in "medieval/dungeon fantasy", i.e. low tech stuff. I've mostly used GURPS for Call of Cthulhu-type horror (from the 1920s to modern day Delta Green campaigns), post-apocalyptic, and sci-fi. The only one of those that had "magic" was the horror campaigns, and even then it was very specific, corrupting, sanity-blasting, unstructured, obscure magic.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote