View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 AM   #35
Icelander

Default USDB Fort Leavenworth recreation facilities, rules, procedures, etc.

Because I got useful answers in this thread from people with actual experience in the military detention field, I thought I'd try to get some 'slice-of-life' flavour for a character who spent his time from 4th of July 2011 to the end of January 2017 as a guest of the federal government, most of it at USDB Fort Leavenworth, as he was a serving member of the US Army when arrested and charged with murder.

I'm wondering about stuff like what the character would have done all day. I've already got the fascinating tidbit that smoking is forbidden, which makes USDB life very different from most prison movies, TV series and even documentaries set in state or federal prisons for civilian felons. But what else is different in the daily routine of military prisoners?

Would the character have spent most of his time in his cell or in some form of common area?

Do the prisoners in the USDB have jobs like inmates in many civilian prisons?

What are the exercise and recreational facilities like and are there rules on how long they can be used?

What popular culture would the character have been exposed to during his incarceration and what would he have missed entirely?

There's probably a library, but what are the rules on Internet use?

If there are TVs in common areas, do they have basic cable? Are there movies or TV series that prisoners can't watch due to 'disturbing' or 'immoral' content?

Who selects the programming for the TVs, if there are any?

Are the prisoners able to to watch live sports events, like college football (SEC by the character's preference), the NFL (especially during the post-season) or other sports?

If not live, do they get access to older games somehow?

And does anyone know what TV shows or other popular culture would have been most commonly consumed, influential or preferred in USDB Fort Leavenworth between 2011-2017?