View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
trooper6

Default Re: Allowing Technique Mastery with Dual-Weapon Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Is Technique Mastery allowed to techniques like Counterattack, Exotic Hand Strike, Uppercut and Ground Fighting?

To me, some Technique Mastery seems to be too abusive. For example, someone with Ancient Greek Boxing (MA 153) that have Exotic Hand Strike (thanks to Skill adaptation) and wants to buy Technique Mastery (Exotic Hand Strike) in order to have Boxing+4 to hit punches.
You can without a doubt use technique mastery on Counterattack and Ground Fighting. This isn't abusive because, with Counterattack, it only kicks in when you are counterattacking (and let me tell you as person playing an arena fighter with counterattack, it didn't come up all that often...highly situational) and with Ground Fighting, you are on the ground.

One of the prohibitions of TM is that it can't be used for the primary function of your skill (Punching for Boxing, Grappling for Judo, etc).

So you have to ask yourself if you you think Exotic Hand Strike and/or Uppercut is basically just a Punch. If you think it is basically a punch, then say no to TM for those two.

Exotic Hand Strike has some pretty serious drawbacks...and quite a few reasons when you wouldn't want to use it...I don't know if it would be all that abusive to allow it. Uppercut...just feels like a punch...and that seems like it would be prohibited by the TM restrictions. But that seems to be up to the GM.

The only think I think is really abusive is Low Fighting counting for Crouching. That I'd change. I'd have Low Fighting only count for Sitting and Kneeling but not Crouching.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote