View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #47
panton41

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
The vcrun6 file is no longer available from MS. I downloaded "vc6redistsetup_enu.exe" from a random website into my .cache/winetricks/vcrun6/ folder, then tried "winetricks vcrun6 native_oleaut32". It ran and resolved the problem with Error 30001. I'm assuming this is legal if one owns a copy of XP.

Then "sudo apt-get install cups-pdf". Seems to be working.

NB: during this process, I also copied riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll from my XP installation to the Wine /System32/ dir and to the GCA Program files dir, though I have no idea if this was necessary.
It doesn't surprise me Microsoft has been wanting to end support for VB6 for a while, which is understandable since it's roughly Windows 98 era software. Windows 8 was to officially be the end of support, but it got a lifeline because of businesses still using it.

It's probably legal if you own a Windows license and, truthfully, for the purposes of GCA (home use) it's not like Microsoft will be beating down your door over it if you don't. For that matter I know very few Linux users who haven't officially agreed to the license at one point or another.

Edit: Apparently there's a fix for it. You might have an outdated winetricks.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 10-06-2012 at 07:25 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote