Thread: Munchkin Quest
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #49
Pequod_II

Default Re: Munchkin Quest

I didn't find his review to be that negative. Some people like Munchkin, some people don't. One of the first things he said was that 3/4ths of the people playing had a great time. He also leaves a disclaimer for his dislike of the game stating "...this is only my view from a single play of the game."

I've had a chance to play-test the game, and while I'm not a huge Munchkin fan, I still experienced some very memorable, hysterical moments. (Also some memorable moments of my hopes for winning being crushed, then stamped on, then ground to a fine powder, then force-fed back to me. And then getting crushed some more. And then getting very close to winning, anyway!)

I think the board-game offers way more replay-ability than than the card game/s does/do.

One thing to keep in mind is that for gamers that are not Munchkin-fanatics (or at least fans), the reviewer's gripes should be taken seriously. It is not a short game. It can be if everyone plays nice, or if you have...certain things happen. But if you play as a proper Munchkin should, it's going to take some time.

A thing to remember: playing with 2-3 players, the game works just as well, and can cut down on the time.

Another thing to remember: the components are really impressive. Pretty; amusing; and most importantly. sturdy.

And lastly: while I'm not a fan of the card-games, I think the board-game is strong enough to draw you in, even when you've seen the cards frequently enough that the humor is fading. (Though I have to say, there are enough cards included with the game that you'll always have a unique experience. And I'll always find something amusing about fighting a...well, I don't want to spoil anything for you guys.) It won't be a game that everyone will enjoy, but if you're already a Munchkin, I think it will be right up your alley.

Pequod
Pequod_II is offline   Reply With Quote