View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #18
mehrkat

Default Re: How would you promote GURPS to RPG newbies?

I focus on the game not the system.

For people new to RPGs or GURPS. I create their first character for them based on description from them based on my description of the world. I tell them to imagine they are in a slightly gritty adventure movie and depending on the power level I explain they are a lot like (insert name of characters). After the character is done I explain what the character is good at and any special skills and weaknesses (in plain language) the character has. Then I tell them to describe what they do and ill translate it into game system and don't worry they will pick it up. I gradually let them learn the rules and terminology at their own speed including character creation services or helping them until they get the hang of it.

If I'm talking to a new person who wants to run a game in GURPS and ask me why I like it i explain that the base system does a really good job of emulating a reality everyone recognizes so you can wing it really easily if you don't have a rule on hand and that is one of GURPS biggest strengths.