View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #30
cvannrederode

Default Re: Over Powered Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I suspect that several other aspects of those writeups are blatantly RAW-illegal, but there's actually nothing wrong with having a spellcasting skill way higher than 18, or a spellcasting base (IQ+Magery) way higher than 18.
Being allowed by the rules is one thing. Pushing the rules past the point where they no longer work as originally intended is another....

Skill levels in the 20 to 30 range can be played off as reasonable, with someone who is almost perfect and can pull of success in "impossible" circumstances. But 150+ just goes beyond reasonableness with the mechanic. Relying on a specific counter measures (which begs counter-counter measures, the counter-counter-counter etc...) just makes an arms race of modifiers. You're just tallying and comparing modifiers with a calculator at that point...the dice roll is meaningless except for results of 17 or 18.

Bottom line is, in my view, what's trying to be done is just beyond the scope of the system as written. They're just too much, and push things beyond balance-ability (IMO).

Re-reading the templates...Bunnies and Burrows popped into my head, with it's description of IQ 30 humans, and how alien they were.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote