View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
kdtipa

Default Re: Character idea, seeking thoughts and advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Note that the point of both Variable Enhancement(*10 for the enchantment part) and Modular abilities(typically *3 or *4 the base cost) is that you pay a lot more points up front but gain flexibility in return.

Alternate way to represent such a thing would be with alternate abilities where you pay full cost for first and then 1/5th for following. Up to about 10-15 such the alternate abilities would be cheaper in points than the modular ability as example. So you could get all really needed ones for a lot less than the modular ability, but it does not fit the character concept as well.
But it's still a flat amount that might give a a very large number of possible abilities. I still like it better if the character has to pay for each thing they learn how to make. It keeps a list of things they know, and they just pay the points for what they know. They can say "I'm going to research how to make a poison that knocks the person out" or "I'm going to research a substance that makes people lose control of their temper" and then they just know that.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote