View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #637
Astromancer

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Bachelor Weddings

In the 19th century American West. Single sex groups, mainly male groups, had semiformal recognition of homoerotic relationships. These were called " Bachelor Weddings." They weren't seen as "Gay" as that concept didn't exist yet. And the idea of Homosexuality didn't show up in Europe until the 1890's ( and doesn't seem to have caught on widely in the USA until almost WW I). Although people knew about men having sex with men and in most areas sent people to jail for it.

Still, although the 3I is sexually egalitarian, single sex groups are part of the setting. People, who would otherwise be strictly heterosexual, might seek same sex relationships in these circumstances. In the highly formal aristocratic culture of the 3I there would be etiquette rules for such things.

Thus your macho spacehero could get stranded for a long time in an all male environment and find himself the target of flirtation from powerful aristocrats who wouldn't take a tactless no kindly. It simply extends the areas were social grace and etiquette are vital tools.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 08-04-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote