View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 AM   #33
Rindis

Default Re: [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
For Armour, I would make that maybe an extra -5% or -10%, probably leaning towards the latter, since having armour is a life saver, and while it doesn't prevent you from using it, it is disencouraging it.
Which is the general idea. The GURPS way is generally not to unilaterally forbid something, but instead show why it's a bad idea, or at least rare.

There's likely to be some fairly nice point-blank spells (my current build of Burning Hands is cheap), and I definitely don't want to see heavily armored mages on the front line burning mooks to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
For the spellbook, I like to imagine that Wizards develop and study their magic through it. Not having your spellbook should not allow you to spend any more points in new spells, and perhaps you may even add a compulsory Limitation to Sorcerous Empowerment that requires you to have the book to improvise a spell (turning to the right page).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Perhapd adding unreliable (mitigator : spellbook) to the spells ?
I'll have to re-read Unreliable, but that is definitely looking in the right direction.

The plan is traveling spellbooks just have 'pre-built' spells, while everything else is assembled from first principles using libraries of research material. (Yeah, currently planning on not using the Sorcery Improv rules; but that also goes back to pre-Sorcery thoughts, so I need to reconsider still.)