Thread: House Rules
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #39
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Here is my issue. Celestial damage is too weak and Soul Hits are too plentiful.

Most Vessels have 30 body hits (assuming CF 3, Vessel 2, Strength 6), and there are many more tools to increase the power of the CD in corporeal combat.

It takes 18 Soul Hits to take away ONE Force. Yes it starts snowballing quickly, but still.

Using the example of the 'average' demon, it takes 162 Soul Hits to put him down. I am unsure of the exact mechanics, but it seems items and Resonances which do Celestial damage are few and far between. So mostly (except Calabim) I'm stuck with hitting 6 points of damage at a time...and that assumes great rolls. That is 27 perfect hits, as opposed to 5 vs a body.

It's supposed to be cinematic, but still.
Understood, JCD. That's one reason I suggested the "Chain Reaction" rule -- the odds are good that your opponent will lose more than one Force to those 18 Soul Hits, speeding the fight up by a bit.

Another option might be to create some tactical house rules. For example, maybe celestials can try for a Haymaker, which strongly increases the Power of a blow but at the risk of leaving you open to a counterstroke if you miss. Or a One-Two Punch, where you can hit twice on a round, but if you miss the first blow, you don't get to try for the second one. Or ... but you get the idea. These could work in *any* combat, not just celestial, and might even make a decent equalizer for a tough human.

Still another is to allow certain artifacts and attunements to be usable in celestial form and do Soul damage. Things such as the Flaming Sword, the Holy/Unholy Pistol, Gabriel's Smite attunement, and so on. If you wanted to stretch a point, you might even allow the Blade Blessing of Laurence to be used directly on an angel in celestial form ... representing the fact that when in their Heavenly glory, they are the unsheathed "sword of Laurence."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 06-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote