View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
naloth

Default Re: Psionic Mind Clouding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do not believe that is a legal build. Mental replaces the Area Effect of Illusion, so they are mutually incompatible, and Illusion's area is already an Emanation.
Mental changes it from Area/Emanation to to Ranged single target. It works exactly the same way that Innate Attack is a Ranged on target ability that you can apply Area and Emanation to change it to an ability that affects and area radius around you.

Quote:
Cosmic also usually does not allow you to circumvent the standard operations of an advantage. So, you can use Cosmic on Healing to bypass Cosmic (Lingering Effects), but you could not use Cosmic (X) to ignore the multiple heals per day penalty or Cosmic (Y) to allow healing to do damage instead of healing.
That's not the description of Cosmic in my book. I have " "Your ability is not subject to
the usual built-in restrictions. " That would change how the "standard operation" works and there are plenty of examples in various supplements of it removing an internal restriction.

As for your first example, that may or may not be a valid use as heals/day is an internal limitation (GM option). The second would be allowing the ability to function in a way it never had before. Adding functionality (rather than removing restrictions) isn't something Cosmic can do.

As for these uses, it would be GM option but both are internal restrictions. "See or touch" could be bypassed by buying 360-degree vision for a similar cost, so Cosmic isn't unbalanced for that. Allowing area to supplant the one target is along the same lines as "Cosmic: May purchase Reduced Fatigue Cost" for Super-Effort, especially since the same effect is being pushed to everyone in the area. It's how area TK works, which is a canon example.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote