View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 01:55 AM   #3
Plane

Default Re: Psionic Mind Clouding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
what I am looking for is the professor x ability of "[B]we are simply not here. You will not see us, you will not hear us, smell us, etc, and if we bump into you, you will rationalize it away and forget it happened. If we attack you, or cause you harm, it will break this ability though.
First let's design a metatrait:
B124 Blindness -50
B129 Deafness -20
B146 No Sense of Smell/Taste -5
B146 Numb -20
Sum -95 or Disadvantage +95% enhancement on an Affliction

P105 "Selective Effect" options got expanded in PU4p16
"if it would make sense to restrict the effect to a single part of the subject." includes Detect as an example... to "narrow the range of what he’s looking for"

If you can do that, then it seems reasonable that you could also specify "these senses only malfunction in respect to the X-Men" or other stuff like "you are unable to taste blueberries" or "you can't hear me singing" or "you can't see stop signs".

Quote:
the flaw is hijacking someones senses as well if they are bumped into, and making them forget it happened or push the thought away.
PU8p18 "Terminal Condition" covers a "simple act" ending abilities prematurely, the value is set by how well known this act is (arcane to common)

If you don't want it to be an instant off switch but rather "if this happens, I need to apply some finesse to reinstate it" then you'd probably want to define that as an Either-Or limitation to something like "Reduced Duration". I believe that would mean that if the condition happens, the duration would dramatically shorten (wear off quickly) requiring you to re-apply the power to reset the duration.

Quote:
Also, the overall flaw is they will show up on recorded tech, but I cant see away around this that makes sense since I want it effected the mind, not the tech, so it is what it is. But if the person is watching it live, they will still be effected by the ability and will not see the person, its only late that they may be seen on recordings.

So any help in building this would be helpful thank you!
You can instruct minds both "you're blind in respect to me AND photos of me AND videos of me" using Selective Effect, I would imagine.

You're going to need a big area effect to be in range of people who might be watching the video from miles away, but that's the type of psi Prof X was.

I don't know if there's a way to extend range/area ONLY when there is a connection via a view screen though.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote