View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
Anaraxes

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
2) {Jeep Grand Cherokee} Debuts in 1993, unless Wikipedia is wrong.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer was apparently the gold standard of the SUV market in the 80s.
You're correct. Jeep Cherokees were around, but I incorrectly thought "Grand" was just the marketing name for their luxury trim line, instead of it being a different vehicle. At the time, "Wagoneer" did indeed fill that slot.

Quote:
to make the Range Rover a 'cooler' car for young men.
I was thinking largely in terms of price and import / rarity status symbol value.

Pickup trucks can also be cool for young men, like that Toyota SR5 that was Marty McFly's dream car, especially in rural areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf
think Walker and Beam are a bit down-market
Depends on the exact variety, doesn't it? JW Blue is far too expensive to be downmarket, even if it's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Yes, {Crown Royal} were quite popular for their dice bags even in the early 80s.
I'm still using mine from that period. Never tasted Crown Royal, but the bag -- now there was a valuable product. These days, you can order them online, minus the liquor, and with custom embroidery.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote