Thread: What a "god"?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
JCurwen3

Default Re: What a "god"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
If it is really an issue in your world as to which came first, the worshipers or the god, I must direct you to the philosophy of nonduality. When the player asks the question, assume a sage-like poise and answer "nopeti" - which means, roughly, "there is an error in your question such that it cannot be satisfactorily answered", much like "Do you enjoy beating your mother?" Having this as a possible answer to all yes/no questions is also immanently useful in day-to-day life.
What language is "nopeti" from, or did you make it up? I like it, just curious - google only found me something here (http://gaybuddhist.org/archive/2004....%20Love%29.pdf).

Here is the extract from that page:
"Nopeti" literally means "it doesn't come up like this," that is, you think it’s a question, but actually it’s nonsense, and I can’t answer it one way or another.

The question "Do you enjoy hitting your mother?", I suppose, could be "nopeti" if (1) the person has no mother, (2) the person doesn't beat her, or (3) the person has some neurological condition and can't really experience what we'd call "enjoyment".