View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #45
Rasputin

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Instead, there might be a 60% chance of easy encounters, but that chance is rolled for each encounter independently. As we all know, probability is not a rule - you could have all ten encounters to come up as boss fights.
After checking with two colossal dungeons, I can safely say that there is not a 60% chance of an easy encounter. Frex, I just generated a colossal dungeon with 77 rooms and 42 encounters. Standard 125 CER party. Of those 42 encounters, only 4 had CERs below the party's 125, and none of them were much below that (lowest was 100).

What's the algorithm to determine if a room is occupied or trapped? For that dungeon, I got 77 rooms, 42 with monsters, and 15 with traps. I try this a second time, I get 73 rooms, 37 with monsters (and 6 with CERs below 125), and with 18 traps. Third time, 204 rooms (switching to small rooms), 106 with monsters (6 with CERs below 125), 50 with traps. (Is there something to make sure monsters actually fit in the rooms? The last dungeon generated a 50 ft. by 30 ft. room with two small cold dragons as well as two vampires, though I'm sure the latter two would be in coffins and not taking up much space. That's tight.)

That suggests to me that half of all rooms will have monsters, and about 20-25% will have traps. About a tenth of all encounters will have total monster CERs below the party average, which is awfully low, and even many of them are only a bit below. I think I generated only 1 or 2 that had half or less of the party CER. Dungeon crawls in these dungeons are going to be incredibly lethal, with loads of tough encounters and few empty rooms in which to try to rest up.

Incidentally, a bug:

"Monsters: CER: NaN; NaN x undefined (Oops p0, undefined pundefined)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
What might be more handy, what with spells like Shape Air and Shape Earth being popular, is a little data box for all a room's dimensions- height, width, length, floor area and volume.
Like this?

"Description: This room is 30 feet wide and 50 feet long. There is a ceramic idol (8" tall). There is a table, large. There is a loamy smell."

Aside from the height not being there, I'd say that's enough. (Why are dimensions in feet instead of yards?) The volume and area aren't going to come up enough in a game to be really worth it.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote